Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The Bread of Life

The Eucharist is God.

Jesus is the Bread of Life and the Bread of Life is Jesus (cf. Jn 6: 35 & 48). The Eucharist is God become Man. It is Jesus: His Body, His Blood, His Soul, and His Divinity - the whole Jesus. The Eucharist is the Son of God and the son of Mary, the Son of Man and the son of David. The Eucharist laid in a manger and later let Simeon go in peace. The Eucharist walked on the water, healed the sick, raised the dead, and exorcised demons. It still does. The Eucharist ate and drank with sinners. Now, It is eaten and drank by sinners. The Eucharist was once nailed to the Cross for our salvation. The Eucharist died, broke the gates of Hades, rose from the dead, and ascended into Heaven. The Eucharist is seated at the right hand of the Father. The Eucharist will come again to judge the living and the dead. Through the Eucharist, everything that is was made and without It was nothing made. The Eucharist is the Way, the Truth, and the Life (cf. Jn 14:6).

This is the Eucharist on every altar of the Catholic and Orthodox Church; It is eaten and drank by the faithful everyday. Everyday, others “eat and drink judgment against themselves” (1 Cor. 11: 29) and, everyday, most of the world ignores Him.

“Unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you” (Jn 6:53). If you are not Catholic or Orthodox, become Catholic or Orthodox, lest you have no life in you. If you are Catholic or Orthodox, properly and frequently receive the most precious Body and Blood of Our Lord, God and Savior Jesus Christ for the remission of your sins and life everlasting.

9 comments:

M LO said...

Dearest John,

I do enjoy your writing so. I hope in the near future you will give us a post about the Pope. I, of course, know how Byzantines feel about the Pope, but perhaps some of your new readers do not. In fact, I have told some people that you are Byzantine and they have remarked that you are not in full communion with the Pope and Rome. I told them that you were and that I doubted that any man who once considered getting the papal seal tattooed on his forehead had suddenly changed his mind about the Pope. I know you covered some of this in your "Byzantine Post," but perhaps you could also address the larger issue of the Pope being ultimate leader of the Church as well. At you leisure, of course.

Most sincerely,

Monica

jack said...

Wow. I feel like I have inspired a rant. Taken in context with our conversation this past weekend, this is almost awe inspiring.

See... What a worthless comment. Wouldn't have it been better for me to contain myself and maintain the lurkage? I feel that if I don't have something important and meaningful to say then I should maintain my anonymity. Alas, after the vigorous chastising that I took on the way to Heera, I feel explicably compelled to post this inane comment to appease my friend.

Does this make you happy? It makes me happy.

M LO said...

By the way, when I said "the Pope as the ultimate leader of the church" I of course meant the ultimate[human]leader of the Church [on earth]. You probably knew that, but I'd not like to mince words.

Shae said...

And from the curious inquirer, would somebody explain to me the exact view the Catholic church has toward the orthodox church...

John R.P. Russell said...

The Orthodox Churches are our "Sister Churches." They possess all of the Sacraments, Apostolic Succession, a true Priesthood and Episcopate. Most importantly, they have the Eucharist. We will give them the Eucharist in our churches.

On the other hand, we are not in full union with them for many historical, political, and theological reasons. We have been in schism since 1054. They are not in union with the bishop of Rome. They will not give us the Eucharist in their churches.

Shae said...

So then, do Catholics consider the orthodox to be part of the Catholic church?

John R.P. Russell said...

"So then, do Catholics consider the Orthodox to be part of the Catholic Church?"

Do any Catholics? Certainly.

Do all Catholics? Certainly not.

Does the Pope? I'd like to know.

John R.P. Russell said...

"Are the Orthodox part of the Catholic Church?"

This may be the most difficult question I've ever pondered.

Anne said...

As you continue to ponder it - please share your thoughts - I have some friends who are Orthodox, so I'm always curious about this...

Most Popular Posts this Month

Most Popular Posts of All Time